The EU General Court last week rejected Russian oligarch Alexander Ponomarenko's application to annul his sanctions listing after he argued the European Council violated his procedural rights, committed "manifest errors of assessment" and violated principles of fundamental law.
Today’s Top News
The Bureau of Industry and Security reinstated a pause on export license applications last week, four people with knowledge of the situation said, days after officials announced at the agency’s March update conference that licensing was expected to soon return to normal.
The Trump administration should reverse a planned $20 million funding cut for the Bureau of Industry and Security, which will hamper the agency’s ability to enforce export controls and weaken American technology competitiveness, a tech policy non-profit said this week.
Upcoming Events
Full CalendarPeople in the News
Ross Kennedy, founder of advisory firm Fortis Analysis, has joined the Bureau of Industry and Security as a senior adviser, he announced this week on LinkedIn. Kennedy said his "primary focus will be on supporting exceptional agents, analysts, and colleagues in the Office of Export Enforcement, a law enforcement agency staffed by quiet, diligent, dedicated professionals and which sits at the nexus of national security and advanced technologies, data, and products."
Ken Wainstein, a former U.S. national security prosecutor and intelligence official, has joined Mayer Brown as a lawyer advising on export controls, sanctions, foreign direct investment and other national security enforcement issues. Wainstein was most recently the DHS undersecretary for intelligence and analysis.
Longtime Bureau of Industry and Security officials Hillary Hess, Sheila Quarterman and Carlos Monroy soon will retire from the agency, multiple people familiar with the matter said.
Hess is the director of the Regulatory Policy Division, where she helps oversee the publication of BIS regulations in the Federal Register, and Quarterman also is an official with the division. Monroy has served as the director of the BIS Electronics and Materials Division.
Hess and Quarterman will retire next week, senior BIS official Susan Kramer announced on LinkedIn March 26. Monroy's departure date is unclear. Their retirements follow the departures of multiple other longtime career BIS officials in recent weeks, including Matt Borman, Eileen Albanese and Karen NiesVogel (see 2502280006 and 2502270009).
The Warren News Family of Publications
Warren News is the leading regulatory intelligence news service for trade, telecom and privacy professionals. Learn more about our family of publications below.