Globalstar's planned C-3 satellite system (see 2502280001) can't operate in the 1.6/2.4 GHz band, as the FCC has made clear it won't let new mobile satellite service systems there before updating the band's rules, SpaceX told the FCC Space Bureau last week. It said the agency had to dismiss Globalstar's "premature" application. SpaceX urged FCC action on its year-old petition to allow new entrants into the 1.6/2.4 GHz band (see 2402230027), saying that would be a good vehicle for updating the rules so Globalstar could then submit its C-3 application. SpaceX said Globalstar's proposed higher-power system in the band "would also fundamentally alter the spectrum environment [there] to the detriment of prospective competitors, such as SpaceX."
SiriusXM is planning to launch its SXM-10 satellite as soon as June 8 and is asking the FCC Space Bureau for permission to use it to replace its FM-6 satellite. In a bureau application posted Friday, it said SXM-10 was originally going to replace the XM-5 satellite, but the company now plans to replace XM-5 in 2026 with SXM-11, which is under construction.
The FCC's unanimous approval of the 2360-2395 MHz band for space launch communications goes into effect April 7, said a notice in Friday's Federal Register. The commissioners at the end of 2024 approved reallocating the 2360-2395 MHz band on a secondary basis for space launch operations (see 2412310029).
The satellite industry is urging the FCC Space Bureau to establish that routine earth station applications will go on public notice within 30 days of the filing fee and be deemed granted if no objection comes within 45 days of the public notice date. In a docket 22-411 filing Thursday recapping a meeting with bureau Chief Jay Schwarz and other staffers, the Satellite Industry Association said it also urged that any FCC streamlining of satellite and earth station application reviews should automatically grant earth station and satellite special temporary authority renewals until staff acts on the first renewal or the underlying modification application. SIA said the agency should clarify and publicize requirements for RF safety studies. SIA also pitched a process for coordinating commercial space station and earth station applications with NTIA. Satellite operators have been at odds over some shot clock issues in the streamlining proceeding (see 2401090051). Joining SIA in the meeting with the Space Bureau were representatives of Eutelsat/OneWeb, Telesat, Iridium, Planet Labs and Intelsat.
Private equity hasn't been particularly active in investing in space in part because firms still see the sector as an emerging market in an uncertain regulatory environment with long development cycles, Emerald Advisors' Jan Grondrup wrote Thursday. While venture capital focuses on high-risk, high-reward opportunities, private equity firms "often seek businesses with predictable cash flows and clear paths to profitability," he said. Many space companies -- especially startups -- have limited recurring revenue and are in capital-intensive development phases, he said. As more space companies mature into sustainable businesses with strong revenue potential, "the risk-reward equation may become more attractive." Space increasingly being tied into terrestrial telecommunications networks could also lead private equity firms to rethink their digital infrastructure investment strategies, he said.
The U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit has shot down financier BIU's challenge of the FCC allowing satellite operator Spectrum Five (S5) to withdraw a complaint against Inmarsat. In a four-page judgment Thursday (docket 24-1189), the three-judge panel said the FCC wasn't being arbitrary and capricious when it found that the reinstatement request was a private contractual dispute, and BIU has the ability to go back to the FCC if it prevails in that contract dispute. In oral argument Jan. 10, the judges seemed satisfied with the idea that BIU could bring its fraud-related claims back to the agency after a state court rules on its rights as a stakeholder in S5 (see 2501100010). Deciding were Judges Sri Srinivasan, Harry Edwards and Michelle Childs.
None of the C-band relocation payment clearinghouse's justification for denying most of Anuvu's reimbursement claim (see 2502250059) squares with the reimbursement program's purpose, according to Anuvu. In a docket 21-333 filing posted Tuesday, Anuvu said a policy with broad applicability -- such as one about C-band clearing work done outside the U.S. not being eligible for C-band clearing reimbursement -- must have a clear statement about its factual underpinnings and can't be implemented via a single footnote.
As of Sunday, SpaceX has launched 7,956 Starlink satellites -- 13% of all satellites ever launched, with all the Starlinks sent during the past five years, satcom consultant Carlos Placido wrote Monday. He said more than 490 direct-to-device Starlinks have been launched, with 489 currently operational. A Starlink report issued last week indicated that the company has 329 satellites in the process of deorbiting and 865 that have deorbited. SpaceX's report said it has one failed satellite in orbit and expects to have none by year-end.
Rocket Lab is committed to a 2025 inaugural launch of its Neutron rocket. "We look forward to unlocking the medium launch bottleneck by bringing Neutron to the pad," CEO Peter Beck told analysts Thursday. Some have questioned whether Neutron would be delayed (see 2502250062). Beck said the company anticipates a trio of Neutron launches in 2026 and is building an ocean-based landing platform for the reusable rocket, meant to compete with SpaceX's Falcon 9.
Globalstar's expanded contract with Apple (see 2411010003) will fund its next satellite constellation, CEO Paul Jacobs told analysts Thursday. In an application earlier this month with the FCC Space Bureau, Globalstar said its planned next-generation low earth orbit mobile satellite service deployment, with a price tag of more than $1 billion for the satellites and ground infrastructure, would augment its connectivity in areas where there's no terrestrial coverage. It said that C-3 system would have greater signal strength and multiple satellites overhead, meaning better in-building and in-vehicle connectivity for users. The constellation will consist of 48 satellites and six orbiting spares, enabling new IoT and consumer-based offerings. Globalstar said its existing direct-to-device SOS emergency messaging service to iPhones is available in the U.S., Canada, 12 European countries, Australia, New Zealand and Japan. Apple’s September release of iOS 18 enabled satellite-delivered two-way messaging in the U.S. and Canada between users, it said. When asked about a deployment timeline, Jacobs didn't comment.